Feb 25, 2015

For Whom The Bell Tolls

Reading over and over and over again my favorite Hemingway during this vacation. The quiet of the green is putting me in such a mood.

My first Hemingway was however The Old Man And the Sea, and my dear uncle gave it to me for reading during a February/March, around the end of the second trimester of my final year of primary school. I recall this time perfectly because I was a loss of words to write about the overwhelming feelings I was feeling and I couldn't express or even name them in the small essay exams we had to pass in preparation for the second trimester exam. I recall they were the worst grades I had in essays and writings to this day.

"No man is an iland, intire of it selfe; every man is a peece of the Continent, a part of the maine; if a clod bee washed away by the Sea, Europe is the lesse, as well as if a Promontorie were, as well as if a Mannor of thy friends or of thine owne were; any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee...."

0 comments:

Post a Comment